Thursday, April 19, 2012

POTY 2012 (Portrait) - Submissions

These are the pictures I chose to submit for Photoanswers.co.uk's competition for the Portraiture category:


I chanced upon the camel herder and his family on my way back from visiting a sandstone tower called Faisal's Finger in the desert outskirts of Riyadh. Evening was upon us when we drove near a camel herder rounding up his camels for the day. We were greeted kindly & after a brief exchange were asked to stay for some tea & dates with his family (I later learnt of Arab's well-known hospitality!). As we chatted, I asked for a picture of him with his favourite camel, he was more than happy to oblige! Choosing this particular shot, I felt it tells a little bit more of his story, of his children & of the simple happy life they lead. His smiling face will always remind me of the warmth of hospitality & friendship he offered a complete stranger on that faithful evening.


This is Andrew, an avid hiker and outdoor enthusiast, immersing himself in the beautiful scenery of Klang reservoir set against the rugged ridges of Tabur Hill in Malaysia. Nature is where Andrew calls home, and he has been on countless nature expeditions in Malaysia. This particular hike up Tabur hill began in the early hours and the mid-morning light lit up the landscape perfectly as we reached the top. Positioning myself trecherously at the edge of these sharp ridges, I was able to get Andrew against the stunning scenery into this picture. The cloudy sky had some texture which I was able to highlight, & the reservoir was calm & mirror-like and reflected the skies beautifully.


(This pic was not submitted) This is little Ryu Iskandar and he had just gotten into a little tussle with his cousin brother & was upset. He was searching around for his father's comfort but did not know that daddy was away from home for couple of days. I took this shot as he approached me asking where his papa is :)

1 comment: